If you’re reading this article, you’re already there. Something in you knows you are a “hot girl.” You may need some help bringing it out, or you may just need some suggestions on how to express it in some new ways.
What is a “hot girl summer?”
Meg Thee Stallion coined the phrase with her song, “Hot Girl Summer.” She defines it as “Women — and men — just being unapologetically them, just having a good-ass time, hyping up your friends, doing you, not giving a damn about what nobody got to say about it.”
Although these words come from the mouth of a 20-something, traditionally “hot,” hot girl, Meg Thee Stallion’s definition screams inclusivity. Hot girl is not about what you look like, but how you feel and express it.
It’s about having the self-awareness and confidence to be you and celebrate whoever that is. It also includes accepting and celebrating your friends in their authenticity. And what allows you to do this? Because you’re so comfortable with who you really are, you need no one’s permission or approval to live in your true self.
With that being said, no one can tell you how to be a hot girl. But we can all use some suggestions and advice now and then. Here are a few to get you started.
6 Ways to Have a Hot Girl Summer
1. Enjoy your own company while doing activities that make you feel your hotness inside and out, like dancing sexy to your favorite songs, doing yoga, or exercising. Add in a new physical activity, like boomboxing.
2. Get together with friends and go shopping or go by yourself. Buy an outfit that shows off all your best parts. Then sashay out of the door in it. You don’t need a special place to go to embrace your hotness. For the rest of the day, be hot for absolutely no reason at all in your new sexy suit.
3. Pamper yourself in a way that makes you feel the hottest. Have a facial and massage. If you’re on a budget, give yourself an at-home spa day.
Order some candles from the Frères Branchiaux Candle Co., a Washington, DC-based black-owned business started by three young brothers. Light your candles when they arrive, turn on some music, apply your favorite facial beauty products, put your favorite glass of wine near the tub, and have a bubble bath. Afterward, slip on something that makes you feel hot.
4. Do something you find exciting and daring. It can be impulsive or planned. Take a pole dancing class. Even better, if you feel so inclined, enter an amateur night pole dancing contest after the class, or instead of the class. Go to a nude beach.
Not ready for a nude beach yet? No worries. Baby steps. Grab some girlfriends (it’s safety in numbers) and go to a pool party open to the public — or a private one. Does that sound too simple? Well, hot it up.
Wear the sexiest swimwear or summer outfit you can find. Whether it’s a long, sexy flowing summer dress or a two-piece, let your diva shine.
5. Help someone else feel special. Celebrate their hotness. Give a stranger a genuine compliment. The next time you’re out by yourself or with friends, and see someone by themselves, invite them to join you.
Buy a loved one flowers or a gift that lets them know how much they mean to you. Take your mom, sis, or girlfriend to The Museum for Black Girls.
If you’re on a budget, take them to a free event in the park. Or invite them over and have that at-home spa day together. Spend time at their house doing whatever the two of you enjoy. And let them know how beautiful and hot they are.
6. Do something you’ve always wanted to do. Whether it is exciting, daring, or something most people may think is boring or silly. Have you always wanted to take a cooking class or an African dance class? Maybe you’ve always wanted to be a firefighter or own your own business. Perhaps you’ve secretly wanted to be a rapper.
It may seem that some of these things are out of your reach. But as the saying goes, there’s more than one way to skin a cat. Think outside the box.
Call the local firehouse and see if you can get a tour and hang out with the blazebusters. Locate and connect with retired firefighters who would love to share their past experiences.
Research owning your own business and reach out to entrepreneurs doing what you might want to do. Offer to volunteer and spend a day at their business, if you can.
Go to karaoke or an open mic and get to rapping. It’s never too late!
Hot girl summer is about unapologetically being you and having fun. Nothing is hotter than someone when they’re confident and doing something they truly enjoy. And when you can uplift someone else, you make hot girl summer contagious.