In 2014, DC became one of just a few local governments in the country to provide transgender health coverage, including gender confirmation surgery. And we want to continue our commitment to the transgender and non-binary community by giving you a variety of choices for your sexual healthcare. Below, you’ll find fact sheets, campaigns, clinics, and reading materials that —
we hope —will help you feel connected to your community. Most of all, we hope you always feel empowered to take control of your sexual health
VOICES FROM THE COMMUNITY
FOR SEX & YOUR HEALTH
- #PrEPPledge is a campaign to help connect all transgender women with PrEP, a drug that’s 90% effective at preventing HIV infection.
- There’s also a #PrEPledge campaign in Spanish that features real DC residents!
- Safer Sex for Trans Bodies is safer sex info especially for you.
- The National Center for Transgender Equality provides key facts on sexual and reproductive health for transgender people.
- DC TransCoalition – Trans Health and other services
- TransChance Health wants all trans patients to be empowered with resources and health literacy.
HEALTH & WELLNESS
- What to ask your doctor about your health from a Transgender perspective.
- HIPS promotes the health, rights, and dignity of individuals and communities impacted by sexual exchange and/or drug use due to choice, coercion, or circumstance.
- Damien Ministries (Shug’s Place) offers services for people living with HIV.
- Whitman-Walker Health provides services for total health and wellness for the LGBTQIA community.
- Transhealth is the online magazine of health and fitness for transsexual and transgender People.
- If you can avoid the Reddit black hole, r/Trans*Health is a great forum for honest discussion and Q&A around transgender health.
- ¡Empodérate! is the only bilingual HIV program that works specifically with young Latino men who have sex with men and young male-to-female transgender Latinas between the ages of 18 and 29 in Washington, DC.
RELATIONSHIP HELP AND ADVICE
- Dazed Digital’s featured article, A Guide to dating as a trans woman, navigates the dating scene as a trans woman and provides helpful tips.
- What are you INTO? This fun blog covers all LGBTQI+ topics, including dating.
- Candid and real experiences about “Dating While Trans in America.”
- If you’re ready to give online dating a try, these are the top ranked free dating sites.
- Safety is always important when you’re dating. Here’s a great guide for safe dating for trans, gender non-conforming and gender non-binary people.
- My Sister’s Place is a DC org that assists in domestic violence situations. **Please Note: If you share a computer with your abuser, be sure that he or she cannot check to see what websites you have visited.**
OUR CITY, OUR COMMUNITY
- Hit the streets every May with with Capital Trans Pride!
- [email protected] DMV advocates for the needs that specifically affect the Trans-Latinx community.
- The DC Center for the LGBT Community educates, empowers, celebrates, and connects the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities.
- DC Area Transmasculine Society is a peer-facilitated social and support group in the Washington, DC area for transmasculine people.
- Casa Ruby’s slogan is “We are Everyone’s Home.” Find a supportive LGBTQI community here in DC.
- SMYAL (Supporting and Mentoring Youth Advocates and Leaders) supports and empowers lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning (LGBTQI) youth in the Washington, DC, metropolitan region.