Dating can be daunting, especially in a world where social media leads most human interactions– but luckily there are apps that help us navigate the dating world. There’s Tinder, OKCupid, Bumble, and a host of other ‘swipe rights’. While real love connections can be made through these apps, real danger exists too. Check out these 5 tips to stay safe while dating online:
- Meet in a public place with a crowd. If you’re meeting someone for the first time you definitely want to get to know them in a public space where others can see you.*Preferably a place where you can make an entrance*
- Drive yourself to the first meet up. For non-drivers, share uber trips with a friend or share your location with a friend via Find My Friends if you have an iPhone. If anything happens someone will know where you are.
- Don’t go over-the-top cyber stalker, but do your research. Make sure you know who you’re talking to.
- Never share personal information online. Yeah we all know the basics like don’t send financial information or an address, but be cautious of sharing seemingly harmless information that, with enough effort, could allow online predators access to information about your everyday routine. You never want to catch a dating prospect peeking at you through the bushes on your daily run.
- Lastly, trust your gut. If the situation feels off, trust me (and yourself) it IS off. Make a sweet escape if you feel unsafe.
Happy Dating, Beautiful Beings!